No brunch or food event this 4th of July weekend but definitely surrounded by all kinds of yummy food…
1. First cook-off at our new house (garden salad with lemon (picked from the tree) vinaigrette, grilled halibut and fusilli pasta with home-grown zucchini & shiitake from mom – grilled to perfection…(why is shiitake spelled with two “ii”s?)
2. First Sushi Nozawa meal – old school “trust me” omakase with the best traditional sushi ever (blue fin tuna, albacore and crab hand roll that still haunts me…)
3. July 4th dinner @ M’s mom’s house (including highlights of VERY rare buffalo slider lettuce wraps w/ miso-mayo dressing, homemade organic hummus ala chef kelly that turned out awesome < secret hit included parsley, capers, pickled jalapeno “juice” and good EVOO>, and not-so-great, “i’m not a baker but a cook” angel food cake. Note to everyone…the angel food cake pan that has a separate insert does not work! It leaked batter all over the oven~
4. You can’t go through a summer without having cold Korean noodles (nang-myun). Mike and I both craved the hole-in-the-wall institution place in K-town (Ham Hung in Ardmore) where you can order from “soupy cold nang-myun” or “spicy dry cold nang-myun”. The best part? They’re having an unannounced two-4-one sale! Two bowls of noodles and a drink for under 13 bucks! sweet!
5. Pinkberry‘s new flavors ROCK OUT OF THIS WORLD! Passionfruit and Coconut. Passionfruit’s bit too tangy but get it swirled with the creamy sweetness of coconut muting the passionfruit and the combined flavor takes you away to a tropical island somewhere…
zucchinis are in full season…they’re so awesome grilled with just salt, garlic and olive oil.